Internship FAQ

Are the dates of the internship flexible?

Internships will vary in length (between 8 and 12 weeks) but must take place from May through August. Interns are expected to work 30 hours per week. Time off during the internship is subject to prior approval and should be avoided.

Do I have to complete the internship at Michigan Language Assessment’s offices?

In the majority of cases internships will need to be completed at Michigan Language Assessment’s offices in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

What are the housing arrangements?

Interns are responsible for their accommodation. Successful applicants will receive an accommodation contacts list but will need to make their own housing arrangements.

What are the transportation arrangements during the internship?

The greater Ann Arbor area has a well-developed bus network (www.aata.org), and the Michigan Language Assessment offices are close to the Blake Transit Center in Ann Arbor. All interns will be provided with a temporary M-Card, which allows free transportation on buses operated by the Ann Arbor Transportation Authority (AATA) as well as University of Michigan buses.

Can international students apply for internships?

In accordance with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations, all successful applicants will be required to show proof of their legal right to accept employment in the United States. If you hold an F1 student visa and are offered an internship, you will need to apply for a practical training certificate. This allows you to receive payment for the internship. To apply for a practical training certificate, you will need to speak with the international advisor at your university. The process can take up to six weeks. If you are an international student residing in your home country, you will not be eligible for a Michigan Language Assessment internship.