For lower-stakes testing purposes—for example, for placement testing and progress testing in an English language program or for screening for readiness to take a high-stakes exam—we offer placement and progress tests. Institutions can purchase these tests to administer and score to support the particular assessment needs they have.
Why choose placement and progress tests?
Designed for in-house assessment of English language proficiency for a number of purposes, our placement and progress products can help you:
- Place students into appropriate ESL course levels
- Determine whether college students require supplementary ESL studies
- Assess whether employees are capable of using the English language in their daily work
- Assign exit scores to ESL students who have completed an ESL program
- Track proficiency gains as learners move through an ESL program
- Evaluate the English language proficiency of prospective international teaching assistants
Placement and progress tests are administered at the convenience of the purchasing institution and provide a highly reliable measure of test takers’ overall language proficiency.
Your institution determines the cut scores or placement scores internally so that the test scores are directly relevant to your students or employees.
Scoring is quick, easy, and performed by your staff.
Available Placement & Progress Tests
The MTELP Series is available for computer-based delivery.